I’m running for re-election!
It has been my honor to have served Travis County citizens as constable for 20 years and the last 7 years as your tax assessor-Collector & Voter Registrar. The Tax office provides services to more Travis County residents than any other government agency. If you pay property taxes, own a vehicle or vote you have to interact with the Tax Office. This office annually collects more than $5 billion in property taxes for 130 taxing jurisdictions, more than $4.3 million for courts and more than $256 million for motor vehicle-related services. While the tax office doesn’t set property values or tax rates, I have been a staunch advocate for a fairer property tax system. I am proud of all we have accomplished for our residents.
Property Tax Collections
- Achieved a 99%+ property tax collection rate each of the last 7 years
- Increased online property tax payments by 1,500%
- Implemented compassionate but effective property tax collection strategy
- Established first Property Assessed Clean Energy and water financing program in Texas
Motor Vehicle and Titles
- Asked County Auditor to conduct risk assessment of Motor Vehicle Division
- Require ALL Motor Vehicle employees to pass vehicle fraud training every two years.
- Developed “data lake” of motor vehicle data to more effectively detect fraud
- Implemented nation’s first E-Title program
- Increased supervision and oversight of motor vehicle transactions
- Updated all contracts and bond amounts with title companies
- Currently working with Auditor, County Attorney and Planning office to finalize oversight unit
- Recruited and trained tens of thousands of volunteer deputy registrars
- Developed first “Unregistered voter maps in the nation
- Created voter registration data portal to make assessing voter lists easier
- Launched Logo, PSA and mural contests to increase civic engagement
- Partner with League of Women Voters, UT, HT, ACC, TCAD, City of Austin, Thundercloud Subs, Alamo Drafthouse, Austin Apartment Association and so many others to promote voter registration and civic engagement efforts.
- Have achieved a 94.5% voter registration rate which is the highest of any urban Texas county.
I am very proud of all we have accomplished in the last 7 years and of our staff’s commitment to provide efficient services and further improve our services, security and transparency. But we have much more to do.
Should Travis County voters renew my contract as your Tax Assessor-Collector I will address the following:
- Complete job of remaking the Motor Vehicle division to further reduce risk of fraud or loss,
- Contract with a consulting firm to map motor vehicle operations and recommend more efficient and secure processes and enhanced employee training
- Continue to save tax dollars, security and improve customer satisfaction by further increasing online payments
- Prepare Property Tax division collection strategies for economic downturn
- Implement online access to property tax foreclosure auctions
- Improve on efforts to collect court fines and fees
- Continue efforts to modernize State voter registration system including online voter registration
- Continue promoting civic engagement and working to further improve the most effective voter registration department in Texas
I’m looking forward to continuing my service to the people of Travis County — but I can’t do this alone. I’m asking for your support of my campaign by donating today so I can continue our work to work to accomplish more goals I have for the Travis County Tax Office.
Let’s work together and continue to help all Travis County residents.
Travis County Tax Assessor-Collector & Voter Registrar